Detoxification Provides a Fresh Start
Spring is here! Spring is a great time to detox your body to restore, renew, and reset your body from the heavy foods of winter.
Detoxification is a great tool because its simple, low cost and has superior therapeutic results. Our bodies detox continuously as a natural function. It’s only when our detox mechanisms become overloaded that the process becomes less efficient and symptoms may occur. Toxins may be internal or external in origin. Pollution or pesticides in our food source put undue stress on our detox organs, especially the kidneys and liver. Improper digestion and imbalanced gut ecology provide internal forms of toxins. Metabolic by-products stemming from bad gut bacteria have toxic side effects and impact negatively on overall health by compromising detox pathways.
It has been suggested that toxic overload contributes to chronic health conditions such as autoimmune diseases, inflammatory/rheumatoid arthritis, hormone imbalance, and fatigue. The goal of any detox program is to gently and slowly cleanse your body of toxins that add an extra burden so serious diseases can be avoided.
Symptoms which may be relieved by following a detox program include:
Digestive problems, headaches, joint pain, bad breath, fatigue, skin rashes, PMS, acne, and allergies.
The following suggestions will help you keep your body’s toxic burden low and your detox mechanisms working for the long haul.
Fun and Easy Tips For Enhancing the Detoxification Process
- Drink 1 cup of hot water with 1/4 lemon and 2 pinches of cayenne pepper first thing upon waking (on an empty stomach).
- Use a ‘dry brush’ to massage your entire body before getting into the shower. Use a circular motion and work towards the heart. Then shower or bathe. Facilitates circulation and toxic elimination through the skin.
- Take a warm bath with Epsom salt added to soothe, relax and detox. Additionally you may rub on the salt with a warm, wet washcloth in bath or shower.
- Jump on a rebounder (mini trampoline) for 3-5 minutes at a time. This shakes up your whole body and is particularly useful for stimulating your lymph drainage system, thereby moving those toxins out!
- Try your own ‘hydrotherapy’ in the shower by alternating hot/cold water. This stimulates circulation and your immune system.