Conditions Naturopathic Medicine can Help
Naturopathic Medicine can help a variety of acute, chronic, and unusual conditions affecting various body systems. The body does not get sick in parts, it is a complex interconnection of body, mind and spirit.
The following is a brief list of conditions Naturopathic medicine can offer relief for:
- Skin: acne, eczema, rashes, psoriasis, dermatitis
- Head: headaches, migraines, vertigo, ear infections, sinusitis, hay fever, allergies, sore throats, colds, flu
- Respiratory: asthma, bronchitis, upper respiratory infections
- Cardiovascular: high blood pressure, poor circulation, artherosclerosis
- Gastrointestinal: constipation, diarrhea, heartburn, indigestion, food allergies, bloating, irritable bowel syndrome
- Women’s health: PMS, dysmenorrhea, menopause, natural hormone replacement therapy, infertility, fibroids, ovarian cysts
- Men’s health: BPH, prostatitis
- Mental/Emotional: anxiety, depression, stress
- Musculoskeletal: low back pain, chronic pain, arthritis, shoulder pain
What Education do Naturopathic Physicians have?
Naturopathic Physicians attend an accredited four-year post graduate Naturopathic medical school. Naturopaths are educated in basic sciences but also study holistic approaches to therapy with a strong emphasis on disease prevention and optimal wellness.
In addition to a standard medical curriculum, Naturopathic physicians are required to complete four years of training in clinical nutrition, homeopathy, botanical medicine, physical medicine, psychology and counseling. Clinical training occurs at naturopathic and community based clinics under the direct supervision of licensed Naturopathic Physicians.
A Naturopathic physician takes rigorous professional board exams so that he or she may be licensed by a state or jurisdiction as a primary care general practice physician.
What is the Philosophy of Naturopathic Medicine?
First Do No Harm
Naturopaths use the least forceful & least invasive therapies first to minimize risks and harmful side effects that other methods can have.
The Healing Power of Nature
By using natural therapies, Naturopaths work to help maintain or restore the body’s inherent ability to heal itself.
Identify & Treat the Cause
Symptoms are not the disease, but rather an indication of an underlying cause creating imbalance. Naturopaths work to find the cause and remove obstacles which can prevent cure.
Treat the Whole Person
Illness is often due to many factors in a person’s life. Naturopathic Physicians take all of these into consideration when determining the best course of treatment for the individual.
Physician as Teacher
One of the goals of Naturopathic Medicine is to educate people about how to take an active role in creating health by learning how their bodies function and what causes malfunction.
Prevention is the Best Cure
Naturopaths educate patients about a healthy lifestyle in order to prevent minor illnesses from developing into more serious or chronic degenerative conditions.